Gary’s Story

Name:

Gary Anderson

College/ School:

College of Arts 

Job title:

Technical Services Manager

Photo or other suitable picture alongside:

Brief description of your role:

The College of Arts is the largest user of technicians across the university where I manage a team of 31 technicians across three buildings.  I manage the day to day activities of the team and the facilities, am responsible for strategic planning, act as the health & safety coordinator and site on a number of College and University committees and work closely with the College Director of Operations. 

How long have you been at the Institution:

28 years 

Journey to your role:

I have always been involved in teaching and learning support starting in 1992 when I joined the university as a Technical Assistant.  After a period of time I moved to the Hull School of Art & Design where I used my background in lens media to manage and support the Animation and Film courses.  As I had a background in camera and lighting, I eventually became the Animation specialist and was responsible for assisting the students to produce 2D and 3D stop frame animations with students winning a number of RTS animation awards.  After a period of time I moved over to supporting the colleges specialist print and production facilities and developed a number of different resources which are in use to this day.  After a major reorganisation the technical team was formed with Technicians becoming college based rather than school based and I was lucky enough to be selected to manage the service.  It has sometimes been a rocky road but with the support of a great team and from management we have created a fantastic team.

Things to love about the role/ work:

The variety, each day is a new challenge, and the team themselves are very diverse. 

Advice to other technicians:

Never say no if a student comes to you for help. 

Interests outside work:

Mountain Rescue is my main passion outside of work, I have been an active team member for 20 years and after been inspired by my wife who runs ultra marathons, I have taken up trail running. 

Any kind of registration/ recognition where applicable (e.g. RSci, AFHEA):

MinstLM, ILM level 5 and NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety.