Baylee’s Story

Name:

Baylee Ross-Harwood 

College/School:

School of Life Sciences 

Job Title:

Technician Assistant (former)

Photo:

Description of my role:

I work at the University’s animal behaviour building, Minster House. My main role is working with dogs; I provide exercise, care and enrichment to dogs that stay in our kennels. Dogs come into the building to take part in research studies or practicals with students and staff. I work with students to teach good dog handling practice and give students the chance to volunteer with the dogs. I manage the Pets Can Do database and I am responsible for the recruitment of dogs for BSc, MSc and PhD/Post-Doc studies. I also help to care for the other resident animals at Minster House – reptiles, rats, fish and insects.  

Length of time at institution:

September 2018 – 2022

Journey to the role

I studied BSc Zoology at the University of Lincoln and graduated in 2018. During my third year I volunteered at Minster House, and then applied for and got a role as an Animal Science intern at Minster House for a year when I graduated. I learnt how to look after all of the animals, and the general running of the building. Alongside my internship I volunteered at a local wildlife park and rescue kennels. I became heavily involved with the dog work at University as this was the part I enjoyed the most, and when the current dog technician left I applied for her role and secured a permanent position as a technician. 

Things to love about the role:

Dogs in the office! I love the interaction I get with the animals and the mixture of practical and administrative work. I enjoy helping students to find participants for their studies and learning about the interesting things that they research. The role varies a lot and is different each day.  

Advice to other technicians:

Always make the most of your role and take any opportunities to further your learning.

Interests outside of work:

Outside of work I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, and my gorgeous dalmatian Ollie. I enjoy yoga, baking and gardening, and anything that involves animals!