Working from Home – Jon Hughes

Whilst there is no doubt that lockdown has been something of a bombshell to how I’d intended to be using my time at the moment I’ve found that it has opened up the opportunity to get down to work on a number of tasks that would otherwise been on the backburner. I’ve just sorted out my membership with a professional body, the Institute of Science and Technology. With that done I am now starting work towards professional registration. I’m also working on planning out the safety aspects of a project to restore a significant collection of preserved biological specimens so that our students will have access to a valuable resource far into the future. In order for me to be able to better support a more diverse range of our practical classes I’m undertaking additional training and learning in areas that I’ve previously had little experience, including Biological Anthropology and Histology.

In working from home I’ve found it best to designate a work room, i.e. a room I only enter in order to “go to work”. I’ve also set up a fixed schedule dividing my days between project work and training in order to both keep structure to my life and keep things varied!

On Wednesdays I attend the university in person to carry out a few essential maintenance tasks. As the picture below shows the campus remains a hive of activity!